Friday, June 1, 2018

Breast MRI Wonderfulness

My first breast MRI was originally scheduled for May 14, 2018.  CDH1 also increases my risk of breast cancer. So I’m supposed to get a breast MRI and mammogram every 6 months alternating. So I showed up all ready to go for my appointment and they told me they wanted to wait until I was within 7-14 days of my menstrual cycle.  Ugh, so frustrating.   Why didn't the scheduler address this when I was making my appointment?  Anyway, so I called them as soon as I started my period and had my appointment set up for yesterday, May 31, 2018.  I was dropping the kiddos off at their grandma’s house yesterday morning when the Breast Health Center called me to tell me the breast MRI was down and not working.  OMG, this whole breast MRI experience has not gone well so far.  I was very upset when I heard this as I was supposed to work the next day and by next week I will be out of my 14 day window to have this done after my period.  I worked it out with my supervisor that I could leave for a few hours to get this done, which is amazing.  I have had nothing but tons of support from my job from day 1 of being diagnosed with CDH1, which I am so lucky and thankful for. 

Okay, so fast forward to today.  Dropped the kiddos off at daycare and went to work as per usual.  Actually kept spacing that I had my appointment at 2pm.  Okay, so got to my appointment with plenty of time to spare.  Let me tell you this Breast Health and Wellness Center is beautiful.  Instead of the harsh florescent lights, they have chandeliers and diffuse lighting in the waiting area.  The people are so friendly and understanding.  So after waiting for quite some time, the gal comes out to get me.  She tells me the last patient is just finishing up on the table but she is going to go over my MRI questionairre while the patient finishes up.  She takes me to this very inviting more secluded waiting area that had a couple comfy couches and big oversized chairs with an artificial fireplace.   Which I was surprised to find in June in Phoenix, AZ.  But the rest of the place was so cold that it actually felt quite nice.  As I sat down another gal popped her head in and introduced herself as the scheduler I have spoken to many times with the complications of getting this MRI done.  She was very sweet and kind, gave me a big hug and handed me Starbucks gift card, which was so thoughtful.  She felt to bad about the issues I was having and the not so pleasant experience I had undergone with all of this.  Which, honestly it wasn’t that bad, but a bit frustrating.  So sweet of her.  

Okay, so the MRI tech went through her questionnaire and then left me to go get previous patient out of the MRI.  She came back, got me changed into a robe, started my IV, and got me on the table.  I didn’t know until recently that a breast MRI is a specific type of MRI machine that is only for breast MRIs.  Makes sense, right?  So you lay on your tummy with your boobs hanging down into an area specifically made for that, she pushed some part in a bit to make sure the girls stayed still during imaging.  My arms were all the way above my head and my face was resting on the face cushion similar to that of the ones when you get a massage.  So, not to uncomfortable.  She put some headphones on with Justin Timberlake Pandora playing, as requested. ;-) She gives me a stress ball to squeeze if I am absolutely not able to continue on with the experience, then leaves the room.  She was amazing at explaining everything and making sure I was comfortable.  Then.  All of a sudden.  The loud noises began.  Haha.  It wasn’t quite that dramatic as I knew what to expect, and the first couple of minutes were annoying and loud, but then was able to drown it out a bit.  I kept reminding myself to breath, and don’t freak out, and don’t scratch that itch.   Oh, and the contrast going into my IV, holy moly does that burn.  I hear people say that all the time, but never really know what they’re talking about.  haha.  But then that was over and it was fine.  The MRI  was probably the longest 25minutes of my life but I got through it.  Then, I got up and I realized how unfordable I was.  You know when you stay in one position too long and then go to move and you are super stiff.  That’s how my arms, chest, and tummy felt.  Wasn’t expecting that at all.  

So, I’m glad it’s done and over with before our trip to NIH in a couple of weeks.  A bit anxious to get results but keep reminding myself to stay in the moment and hope for the best.


This was far too much detail about my a silly beast MRI.  In the moment I had an overwhelming need to really notice how I was feeling and document it all.  So thanks for listening and maybe with will help with somebodies anxiety with having a breast MRI in the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day in the Life - seahorse edition

I’ve gotten my eating and drinking routine down pretty good now. I have a really good grip on what helps me feel my best and what doesn’t. T...