Wednesday, June 6, 2018

I LOVE FOOD!

I consider myself a pretty healthy person and make healthy food choices most of the time.  Eating healthy feels good. It makes me feel good. Preparing healthy meals for my family is often a priority for me and makes them feel good.  Even though my two little ones often protest 😜.  But I also love junk food and sweets.  And because I have no idea how my body is going to react to having no stomach I am really enjoying all foods at the moment. I am trying not to be gluttonous, but it feels so good to have a full tummy.  Will I ever have that feeling after my PTG (prophylactic total gastrectomy)?  People tell me my portions will increase over time and eventually I’ll be eating pretty normal amounts, but again I don’t know how my body is going to react. I’m walking a fine line right now of not wanting to lose weight before surgery because there will be enough of that after but also not wanting to gain weight because I’m happy with where I am right now knowing I will have significant weight loss after surgery.  Timing kind of plays a roll as well. If I knew I was having surgery next month I wouldn’t be so cautious of the weight issue. However, that is not my plan. Matt and I are traveling to Maryland to meet the team at NIH for consults, so I’m curious what their opinion is for timing of the PTG.  I’m pretty excited to go meet everybody and also to explore the DC area.  Neither of us have been there before and figured we might as well do as much sight seeing as possible while there.  And will probably eat way too much really yummy food. I’m sure my relationship with food is going to be forever changed which I’m totally nervous about.  At 33 years of age I felt I was actually getting a grasp on a healthy relationship with food and how it affects my body.  I guess I’ll just continue learning that but in a new way. The PTG kind of forces a healthy diet and lifestyle, at least at first. 


Okay, I think I’m officially rambling here. Thanks for listening. 

4 comments:

  1. Well I read all your posts and I must say I am impressed by your intelligence, your grace, your courage, but those are all things I already knew about you. Thank you for this and know that God is good all the time and you have so many people who are praying for you and who love you! We are here for you sweetheart - Love, Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! You are too kind! Thank you and thank you for reading. I will keep you all update 😉. Love you! 😘

      Delete
  2. Hi Courtney! I am almost three years post TG and have been reading your story and all I can say is ramble on. It does help. You story inspires all who read it and helps many heal and make choices. Ramble on young lady... Ramble on..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Roger! Thank you so much for reaching out. Don’t worry, I’ll keep rambling. Haha. I’ve also started following your blog. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

A Day in the Life - seahorse edition

I’ve gotten my eating and drinking routine down pretty good now. I have a really good grip on what helps me feel my best and what doesn’t. T...