Tuesday, November 26, 2019

THANKSGIVING

This is my first Thanksgiving since having my prophylactic total gastrectomy in February.  Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays.  I owe that all to my family. For as long as I can remember we spend the holiday in Kingman, AZ with my mom’s family.  For those of you who know about Kingman, you’re probably thinking ‘why would you want to spend any time there?’  And it’s true. Most people know Kingman as the armpit of Arizona located on the way to Las Vegas.  It’s a small town with nothing super exciting to do.  But to be with family is all I need for Thanksgiving. It has always been super laid back and a time to catch up on everyone’s lives.  

Earlier this year I didn’t think I would be too excited about the food for Thanksgiving. Given nausea has been a pretty big issue for me.  As you know, that has gotten so much better. Last week I went the entire week without taking the Marinol (the only medication that actually helped with nausea for me).  That’s huge for me.  People in my CDH1 world have always said things get better and eventually you forget you don’t have a stomach. I had a hard time believing that in the early days. I just tried to take their word for it and go day to day. Now, when people who will be getting their stomachs remove ask what it’s like to live stomachless, I’m telling them the same things I had heard.  Most of the time I feel very normal.  As long as I eat every 2-3 hours and keep up with fluid intake, I feel great.  So this week being at my aunt and uncles house will be perfect. There is always yummy food to eat.  

Aside from Thanksgiving, the holiday chaos has officially begun at our house. After two whole weekends of putting up Christmas lights, they have been turned on.  It is almost complete with all the finishing touches. Holiday crafts are sprinkled all over the house awaiting to be completed.  Cookie baking parties and Christmas light viewing are making their way onto the calendar.  I’ve never been good at teacher gifts for my daughters school, so that is a goal for me this year. Nothing super extravagant, but something well put together and thoughtful.  And don’t forget about our elf who should be showing up any day now.  This is my favorite time of year despite all the chaos and stress.  It’s just so magical for the kiddos. I hope I can continue to live in the moment and enjoy all the precious little moments with my kiddos and those I love through this holiday season.  My husband can attest I’ve been a bit stressed lately. Time to take a chill pill and roll with the punches. I know he would appreciate it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day in the Life - seahorse edition

I’ve gotten my eating and drinking routine down pretty good now. I have a really good grip on what helps me feel my best and what doesn’t. T...