Tuesday, January 9, 2018

They recommend what?

Today, while working, I had the bright idea to google CDH1. That was a very bad idea.  I found a website called nostomachforcancer.org which seemed legit, so I started reading.  I immediately broke down, started crying and felt hopeless.  I read CDH1 gives you a very high chance of producing HDGC, hereditary diffuse gastric (stomach) cancer, and that the recommendation is to have your stomach removed.  What?!?  How do you live without a f*cking stomach?!  What kind of life am I going to have?!?  This was a rough work day.  

I called my best friend on the way home, who is also a medical professional, and she had never really heard of this either.  She tried to calm me down, told me to take it one step at a time and everything was going to be okay.  But she didn’t understand.  She didn’t read what I read.  

When I got home I told Matt, my husband, what I had read.  He could tell I was all worked up, anxious and worried.  He made me promise I would not do any more research online until we meet with the genetic counselor and told me to calm down, take a breath and that we would figure this out.   I’m really hoping the genetic counselor with have more promising information and know something I don’t know at this point.  I’m feeling so angry I ever even got tested for a genetic mutation to begin with. The whole reason I did was because of my family history of breast cancer on my mom’s side and now this.  Ugh.  And why would I ever want to have to make the decision to remove my stomach?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day in the Life - seahorse edition

I’ve gotten my eating and drinking routine down pretty good now. I have a really good grip on what helps me feel my best and what doesn’t. T...