Monday, July 2, 2018

Pathology Results

I received a call this morning from the NP at NIH.  I thought she was calling regarding my return to work FMLA paperwork.  To my surprise, she also wanted to talk about my pathology results. It was supposed to take 2 weeks, so this was a pleasant surprise.  She said there were no signet cells found in the biopsies from my EGD.  And anybody who doesn’t know very much about CDH1 would be excited about that.  Let’s just say it is what it is. At least they didn’t find end stage cancer, right?  But this does not reassure me that I can put off a prophylactic total gastrectomy.  The NP mentioned it would be totally okay if I decided to have yearly surveillance and wait a few years to have the surgery.  I just can’t imagine having just a yearly surveillance that is not even reliable at this point in time.  I’m already a bit anxious about waiting 8-9 months from know. Which is kind of the timeline I’m thinking here. That will allow me another Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year to eat as I’m used to before taking the plunge.  I would totally do it like January of 2019, but since I’ve decided to do it at NIH it will be a bit freezy there in January. So I’m going to opt for March or April of 2019 when myself and Matt can enjoy cherry blossom season for at least part of a day before spending several days in the hospital.

In the meantime I’m going to be training for a half marathon, which is in January, and getting my butt into awesome shape so I can go into surgery strong and ready for a long recovery.  My plan is to do lots of weight training too.  And indulging a bit on desserts and other foods I normally feel guilty for eating to much of.  There’s going to be a balance I need to find so I don’t overindulge and gain 60 lbs before surgery.  Eeek!  My goal is to neither gain or lose weight before surgery.  I think going in just the weight I am but in better shape will work out best. 


So, for now I get on with my life per usual and carpe diem (English translation: seize the day, put little trust in tomorrow)

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day in the Life - seahorse edition

I’ve gotten my eating and drinking routine down pretty good now. I have a really good grip on what helps me feel my best and what doesn’t. T...