Sunday, September 15, 2019

One day past my goal --- not too shabby

It’s Sunday evening and I told myself I’d write a blog post on Saturday.  One day off…not so shabby.  This past week has been the exact roller coaster ride I was talking about in my last post.  Had some intensely acute lower abdominal pain the other day.  It happened 3 times.  All shortly after I ate.  Went to bed that night and it hasn’t happened again since.  So bizarre.  Only thing I can think was that I was eating too fast and/or swallowing too much air while eating.  Like it was gas pain.  But I didn’t pass tons of gas at any point after it all happened.  Anyway, I was at work when it happened the first time and I don’t remember eating super fast, feeling super hungry while eating, or talking a ton while eating.  I’ve been super conscious about eating slowly and chewing really well the past couple of days and like I said it hasn’t happened again.  I am planning on calling my surgical team tomorrow just to let them know about it and see if they have any other thoughts.  I also think it could be related to my umbilical hernia as the pain is right where my hernia is.  But who knows!

Today we went out on the lake with my in-laws.  They have a boat so we took the kids and had a blast.  Kids loved riding on the tube and just swimming around in the water.  Weather and water temp were wonderful!  Such a good way to stay active.  I did some treading water and swimming.  So I feel like I did a little ‘exercise’ today.  So I’m trying to compensate with my calorie intake.  Eating some nut butter as I type at the moment.  One thing I’ve learned through this journey is when I don’t eat enough calories one day I tend to pay for it the next.  So that is something I”m going to have to remember as I start trying to incorporate more exercise into my routine.  Oh! and as I was riding on the tube and being whipped around I was laughing hysterically.  To the point I felt I couldn’t catch my breath at times.  Which was wonderful! haha.  When we stopped I started coughing pretty hard as I tend to do with my reactive airway disease and I think I was refluxing.  I think the reflux was causing me to cough.  This has happened one other time when I was in California with girl friends when we were laughing pretty hard.  So it’s like the pressure in my abdomen from laughing is causing the reflux.  I had talked to my surgeon about this at my 6 month follow up appointment and he said as long as it’s not painful, there is nothing to be concerned about.  And it totally doesn’t hurt when it happens this way.  It’s just like the food and drink is being pushed back up enough to cause me to cough.  Unlike the reflux I experience at night.  Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night or in the morning and find myself laying more flat than is probably best and I have an awful heartburn feeling.  But it feels much worse than the typical acid reflux heartburn and it lasts way longer!  I still haven’t quite figured out what works best to get rid of it.  Some of my fellow seahorses feels it’s best to eat or drink something acidic to counterbalance the alkaline bile.  I haven’t found this to be the cure all every time.  Another learning curve I’m still experiencing.  

Have a good week!!  Thanks for reading.  Be back in about a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Day in the Life - seahorse edition

I’ve gotten my eating and drinking routine down pretty good now. I have a really good grip on what helps me feel my best and what doesn’t. T...